Drowning Victim Identified As Well-Known Huntsville Man
EDEN, Utah — Weber County Sheriff’s investigators have identified the man whose body was recovered from the Ogden River. He’s a name that is recognizable to many in the Ogden Valley community.
Richard Wood worked as a bus driver who picked up skiers and took them up the hill as well as a night manager for Powder Mountain.
He started at the resort in 1981 and became so well-known in the area, it unofficially started to be called ‘Woody’s World.’
He had just retired after last season, at the age of 80.
He is being remembered as a well-loved friend who was willing to help anyone in a pinch.
J.P. Goulet with Powder Mountain Ski Resort talked with KSL TV about what he meant to the community.
“He was very involved in the Ogden Valley community and in Huntsville… and with the Powder Mountain family,” Goulet said. “He worked there 7 days a week. If you didn’t have a ride home, he’d take the bus down and take you in his own truck.”
Co-workers and family members spotted Wood’s car parked next to the Ogden River yesterday.
That drew concerns and further searching turned up some of his personal belongings next to the river.
After a couple hours of searching, Wood’s body was found about a mile downstream.
Workers learned from the general manager last night that it was Woody.
“He just always went the extra mile for our guests and for his friends and coworkers on the mountain… and that’s why he was so loved,” Goulet said.
They say ‘Woody’ loved fishing, he loved the outdoors. They’re not sure what took him to Ogden Canyon yesterday.
They’re all deeply saddened by his loss.
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5440)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 5179)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5085)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 2760)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidently falling from balcony (pageviews: 2591)
- Avalanche triggered at Snowbird resort, no injuries reported - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2230)