Teen Charged in Shaken Infant Death
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A 4-month-old baby girl has died after she was shaken by a teenage babysitter, according to police.
A 16-year-old boy has now been charged with a single count of child abuse homicide in connection with the death.
“The babysitter did confess that he shook the baby… violently,” Elene Ratcliffe, the baby’s great-aunt said.
Police tell us the alleged abuse happened in an apartment just off of Redwood Road. When officers arrived Tuesday night, the 4 month old was not responsive.
At the hospital, investigators say doctors found evidence of a shaken baby.
The parents told police the 16-year-old boy had been watching the child.
“And so he was contacted and interviewed,” Lt. Kent Stokes with West Valley City Police said. “And as a result of that interview, the 16-year-old male was booked into detention on felony child abuse charges.”
The family said they are extremely brokenhearted over what happened.
“None of us can wrap our heads around any of this,” Ratcliffe said. “You’d never think that something so small, (that) somebody could do something so horrible.”
Before the child passed, the family told KSL TV they were preparing for the worst.
“Ultimately, her organs will be donated after she passes,” Ratcliffe said.
A gofundme* account has been set up to help the family cover medical expenses.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
KSL 5 TV Live
- First temple in Virginia opens its doors to the public (pageviews: 15140)
- Utah man bit by shark while swimming in Hawaii (pageviews: 14902)
- Man in custody, accused of filming children in the bathroom of his business (pageviews: 14198)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 9037)
- Utah will likely set historic snow record Friday (pageviews: 8110)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6625)