Presidential Message Released On The 150th Anniversary Of The Completion Of The Transcontinental Railroad
WASHINGTON – The White House released a presidential message about the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad.
“Our Nation celebrates the thousands of workers who diligently laid track for six years across desolate plains and treacherous mountains,” the statement reads. “We honor the undaunted efforts of the people who made this innovation possible, including workers of Irish and Chinese descent, as well as freed slaves, Native Americans, Civil War veterans, and Latter-day Saints.”
On May 10, 1869, the final golden spike was driven into the ground at Promontory Summit, Utah, joining the tracks of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific railroads.
The statement also praised the advancement of infrastructure and economy across the United States.
“We also honor our former leaders who had the vision and understanding that a robust infrastructure supports a vibrant economy,” it reads. ” The completion of the transcontinental railroad catalyzed our country’s development, empowered greater settlement of the American West, and expanded prosperity from the Atlantic to the Pacific.”
It was also credited with uniting the nation.
“We recognize the American ingenuity and the hard work and grit of all the workers that made the construction of this railroad and the unification of our Nation possible,” the statement reads.
- Woman, Children Terrorized In Road Rage Incident On I-15 (pageviews: 18183)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 11001)
- Customer Threatens To Shoot Up Salt Lake City Store Over Mask Requirement (pageviews: 8508)
- 37 Juveniles Arrested At Corner Canyon High School (pageviews: 5475)
- One Killed In Motorcycle Crash Up Big Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3933)
- Two Deputies Injured, Suspect Killed In Shooting At Salt Lake County Jail (pageviews: 3870)
- Las Vegas Pushes To Become First To Ban Ornamental Grass (pageviews: 3696)
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 3024)
- Are Californians To Blame For Utah’s Surging Home Prices? (pageviews: 2401)