Safe in 60: Practice These Steps Each Time You Use an ATM
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — The next time you use an Automated Teller Machine, be mindful of safety.
The typical robber knows if you use an ATM, you likely leave with cash in hand. A few simple practices will help protect you and your money.
Cash machines can be found on just about every street corner, so when you need money, pick one in a busy and well-lit area.
If the bank is open, consider going inside or using a drive-up teller instead of an ATM.
Look for anything suspicious around you. Trust your instincts if something feels off.
Have your bank card ready – don’t get distracted digging through your purse or wallet.
As you enter your PIN, shield the keypad from anyone nearby. And make sure to memorize the number – it’s not a good idea to have it written down.
If you drive up to the ATM, keep all your doors locked. Only roll down your window when you need to.
After you get your money, put it away immediately. Don’t hang around counting it. If it’s inaccurate, you can’t discuss it with the machine, so get a receipt and check the transaction when you are in secure location.
If you sense someone following you, walk or drive someplace safe and call police.
If you are threatened by a thief demanding your money – give it to them. Only fight as a last resort.
The key to being safe in any situation is to be aware, avoid distractions and listen to your instincts.
More safety tips from Salt Lake City Police: http://www.slcpd.com/resources/brochures/
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9218)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4825)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3408)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 3366)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2413)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2241)