Health Department Confirms Mumps Case In Utah County
PROVO, Utah – The Utah County Health Department on Wednesday announced officials confirmed a case of mumps in an unvaccinated adult.
Health officials have encouraged residents to get vaccinated if they haven’t already.
There is no treatment for mumps, authorities said. Anyone with symptoms of mumps is asked to contact their health care provider for evaluation.
“Mumps is a highly contagious viral disease characterized by fever, headache and swelling of the salivary glands,” according to a statement issued by the UCHD. “Other symptoms associated with mumps include low-grade fever, fatigue, muscle aches, and loss of appetite. Complications can include redness and swelling of the testicles in males, inflammation of the brain or membrane covering the spinal cord, inflammation of the ovaries in females, loss of pregnancy, and permanent hearing loss.”
Officials said mumps can be spread through mucus and saliva left on objects touched by an infected person. Mumps does not linger in the air.
According to the UCHD, precautions should be taken to reduce the risk of mumps:
- Do not share food, drinks, water bottles, utensils or other personal items that may contain saliva.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Wash your hands before eating or before touching your mouth.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you sneeze or cough. If a tissue is not available, sneeze or cough into your upper sleeve or elbow, not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that may be contaminated with germs. Clean and disinfect communal surfaces frequently.
- Get vaccinated with two doses of MMR vaccine if you haven’t already.
- People who get mumps should stay home for five days after onset of symptoms and limit contact with others in their household.
“Mumps can be prevented through vaccination,” said UCHD Medical Director David Flinders. “Individuals should review their medical records and ensure they are up to date on all vaccines including two doses of the MMR vaccine, which protects against mumps.”
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 14597)
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 14313)
- Utah Teen Shot, Left For Dead Three Years Ago Raising Money For Prosthetic Arm (pageviews: 11661)
- Payson Hit-&-Run Driver Turns Himself In After Striking 9-Year-Old (pageviews: 7293)
- Dirty Dining? KSL Investigators Look Into Popular Salt Lake Restaurant Rankings (pageviews: 5838)
- California Prisoner Confesses To Killing 2 Child Molesters, Says He 'Did Everybody A Favor' (pageviews: 5805)
- Police: Body Found In Pipe Near Target In Salt Lake City 'Suspicious' (pageviews: 5342)
- Investigators Issue Amber Alert For 15-Month-Old Tennessee Girl Not Seen Since December (pageviews: 5081)
- 2-Year-Old Boy Hugs Pizza Delivery Guy, Not Knowing He Just Lost His Daughter (pageviews: 4752)