PACIFIC MINISTRY TOUR
President Nelson ‘Very Impressed’ With New Zealand Prime Minister Ardern
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – President Russell M. Nelson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spoke Monday about his meeting with New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.
President Nelson praised the young prime minister and said she has a bright future.
“She’s a leader,” he said. “She’s courageous. We’re very impressed with her.”
“I think the world will discover they’ve got a real leader here,” President Nelson added.
Just in… @NelsonRussellM meets with the Prime Minister of New Zealand. @KSL5TV @ChurchNewsroom pic.twitter.com/veHjRldwW6
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) May 20, 2019
Ardern gained international attention after the horrific terror attacks on two New Zealand mosques, which killed 51 people.
President Nelson also announced The Church would make contributions to those mosques to help repair the damage.
Elder Gerrit W. Gong, of The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said church leaders discussed the attacks — and social media — with Ardern during the meeting.
“There needs to be a balance between religious freedom and the ability to speak out,” Gong said, “but also to use it in a way that’s responsible, particularly what children might see. That’s something that the prime minister was concerned about.”
The visit to New Zealand marks the halfway point for President Nelson’s trip to the Pacific. He’s already visited Hawaii and Samoa.
The tour wraps up at the end of the week after visits to Fiji, Tonga and Tahiti.
President Russell M. Nelson just announced the location for the new temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Auckland, New Zealand.
The temple will be will built on a hill between the Missionary Training Center and the Redoubt Stake Center. @NelsonRussellM pic.twitter.com/zEKXJco0eK
— The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (@ChurchNewsroom) May 21, 2019
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 76405)
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 22066)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 15455)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 12156)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12014)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 10654)
- 3 killed in multi-vehicle crash; NB I-15 closed for several hours in Box Elder County (pageviews: 8197)