UDOT: Allow Extra Time, Patience For Memorial Weekend Traffic
SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah — If you’re trying to get out of town on a road trip this evening to get the summer started, you’re not alone. This is one of the busiest travel days of the year.
Traffic has been heavy most of the afternoon, and passing storms have been part of the problem.
One major traffic jam happened earlier in the day when motorists driving too fast for the wet conditions crashed during a downpour near the spaghetti bowl.
This evening, UDOT said you can expect to take an extra 40 minutes of travel time headed south through Salt Lake and Utah Counties, and an extra 30 minutes of travel time headed north through Davis and Weber Counties. Monday afternoon, traffic will be heavy headed the opposite direction.
Keep in mind there are a lot of trucks hauling campers, toy trailers, and boats mixed in with extra motorcycle traffic and all of our regular commercial truckers and commuters. Be patient, keep your cool, and check your speed.
“There’s going to be a lot of additional vehicles out on the road,” said John Gleason, a UDOT spokesman. “About 20% higher than your typical Friday and Monday evening commute is what we’re expecting.”
On an average day 250,000 vehicles travel on I-15 in Salt Lake County. So, today they’re expecting as many as 300,000.
UDOT is suspending construction across the state this weekend, with the exception of a bridge project that will close two southbound lanes on I-15 in Lehi after 11 o’clock tonight.
- Broadway Actor Nick Cordero Dies At 41 After Battle With COVID-19 (pageviews: 9890)
- Utah Teen Hospitalized, Battling Severe COVID-19 Symptoms (pageviews: 8901)
- Family Speaks Out After Daughter Was Allegedly Shot, Killed By Estranged Husband (pageviews: 7509)
- Gephardt: COVID-19 Causing Coin Shortage For Utah Retailers, Banks (pageviews: 5095)
- U Of U Researchers Discover Impacts Of COVID-19 On Blood (pageviews: 4517)
- Multiple New Fires Start Amid Fourth Of July Celebrations (pageviews: 4215)
- Black Lives Matter Billboard Vandalized In Draper (pageviews: 3513)
- State Reports 6 New Deaths, 517 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 3283)
- Four Dead After Small Plane Crashes In Utah County (pageviews: 3134)