Police: Driver May Have Struck Child On Scooter Intentionally
DRAPER, Utah — A man has been booked into jail after police said initial investigation suggested he intentionally struck an 11-year-old girl on a scooter with his vehicle.
The 11 year old went to a nearby hospital in serious condition. The driver, 19-year-old Steven Becky, was also transported to a hospital before being booked into jail.
The incident took place at 15051 S Winged Bluff Ln in Draper at 8:26 Friday morning.
The area where this occurred is actually in Utah County and Becky has been booked into Utah County Jail on charges of attempted criminal homicide and DUI with serious bodily injuries.
A home-security camera allegedly captured the collision in its entirety, that video has not been released to the public.
WATCH LIVE: Draper police are speaking after an 11 year old was hit by a car while riding a scooter, police said earlier the driver may have made the move intentionally.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Friday, May 31, 2019
Clark Santos said his smartphone alerts for his security camera woke him up this morning. When he looked outside he saw the aftermath of the collision.
“I looked at it, reviewed it and I saw the whole thing happen,” Santos said. “I saw the car coming from the left side of the road, which is unusual, coming straight at her, hit her, flipped her on the windshield and she landed right about here and then she just started screaming.”
Santos shared his video with police. Chief Eining said seeing it led them to believe the driver acted intentionally.
“This is not what I would describe (as) somebody who veered into the gal or drifted into the gal,” he said. “My description would be that this is somebody that turned into this gal.”
19 yr old Steven Ray Becky was booked into jail on attempted criminal homicide and DUI w/serious bodily injury charges. #Draper Police say evidence shows he may have intentionally plowed into an 11 yr old girl, sending her to the hospital in serious condition. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/Y5ilkiPHuY
— Matt Rascon (@MattRasconNews) June 1, 2019
He expressed gratitude for the availability of video to the investigation.
The victim and suspect are not related, but police said Becky knows the victim through family members.
The girl was wearing a helmet at the time and received non life-threatening injuries, according to the chief. He also said the incident likely happened too quickly for her to have avoided the crash or seen the car coming.
- Police: Man steals excavator, tears up ground outside grocery store (pageviews: 10928)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10276)
- Flash flood advisory for Salt Lake, Davis County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8607)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6176)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5885)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5171)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5037)