Judge Reads Murder Charge Against Uncle in Girl’s Death
LOGAN, Utah (AP) — A Utah man charged with kidnapping and killing his 5-year-old niece made his first court appearance Monday.
Alex Whipple, 21, was handcuffed and silent as a judge read out the charges, including aggravated murder and child kidnapping. He was denied bail.
He is accused of taking Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley from her home and killing her on May 25 after spending the night at his sister’s house, prosecutors said.
Authorities searched for the missing girl for five days before he told his lawyer where he’d hidden her, after prosecutors promised to not pursue the death penalty. The girl’s body was found less than a block from home.
Cache County prosecutor James Swink said finding the child’s body allowed the family to lay the child to rest. “Not to have the body of your child, you just can’t cope with that,” Swink told the Salt Lake Tribune.
I’m in court in Logan. Alex Whipple is scheduled for an appearance this afternoon for the the kidnapping and death of his niece Elizabeth Shelley. @KSL5TV
— Mike Anderson (@mikeandersonKSL) June 3, 2019
Defense attorney Shannon Demler has said his client did something inexcusable but wants the family to find closure.
Whipple’s next court hearing was set for June 24 in Logan, about 80 miles (129 kilometers) north of Salt Lake City.
Lizzy’s blood was found on Whipple’s watch and sweatshirt, authorities said, and his handprint was discovered on a PVC pipe. Her blood was also found on a broken knife taken from the family’s kitchen, charging documents state.
Whipple has a criminal record that includes a 2016 assault, possession of a stolen vehicle and drug-related charges.
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5440)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 5179)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5085)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 2760)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidently falling from balcony (pageviews: 2591)
- Avalanche triggered at Snowbird resort, no injuries reported - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2230)