Provo To Get Its First Stand-Alone Starbucks Near BYU Campus
PROVO, Utah (AP) — Starbucks will open its first stand-alone shop in Provo near Mormon-owned Brigham Young University.
The Salt Lake Tribune reports the Seattle-based coffee giant confirmed on Tuesday its plans to open a store near BYU’s campus in the spring of 2020. Students are taught as part of the Utah-based religion’s health code to avoid coffee and tea.
Provo economic director Dixon Holmes told the Tribune the city’s regulations are non-denominational despite BYU’s conservative reputation. The city is home to several locally owned coffee shops.
Residents expressed mixed feelings ranging from shock to excitement to the announcement on social media. Some local coffee shop owners said they welcomed the addition and weren’t too concerned about the new competition.
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch (pageviews: 12560)
- Live (pageviews: 6781)
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6738)
- Flood watch over popular Utah recreation areas Sunday (pageviews: 4740)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 3594)
- At least 2 injured after semi hauling beehives tips on I-80 (pageviews: 3326)