Grand Canyon Named International Dark Sky Park
The Arizona Republic reported Wednesday that the International Dark-Sky Association has named the Grand Canyon an International Dark Sky Park.
The park and the Grand Canyon Conservancy started retrofitting more than 1,500 light fixtures after it was given provisional dark-sky status in June 2016.
Workers put in lower-wattage LED bulbs and shields to focus the light on the ground.
The park says 67% of its lighting complies with association guidelines.
The park and conservancy aim to have 90% of the lighting meet standards by 2022
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)