Uncle Accused in Girl’s Death Charged with Sexual Assault
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Prosecutors have filed new sexual assault charges against a Utah man accused in the death of his 5-year-old niece.
Authorities say additional evidence from the state crime lab led to the counts of child rape and sodomy filed Wednesday against 21-year-old Alex Whipple.
Police say he killed Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley on May 25, after his sister let him spend the night at the family home.
She was missing for five days before her body was found in a heavily wooded area. Police have said Whipple gave his lawyer a map of where the body was hidden in exchange for a promise not to pursue the death penalty.
Whipple is also charged with aggravated murder, child kidnapping and other counts.
Defense attorney Shannon Demler did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5440)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 5179)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5085)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 2760)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidently falling from balcony (pageviews: 2591)
- Avalanche triggered at Snowbird resort, no injuries reported - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2230)