On the Site:

LOCAL NEWS

Two Swimmers Remain Hospitalized After Chlorine Exposure at Utah Pool

Jun 5, 2019, 6:54 PM | Updated: 9:56 pm

PLEASANT GROVE, Utah — Two patients remained in two different hospitals in Utah County on Wednesday following dangerous chlorine exposure at a busy public pool a day earlier.

When lifeguards first cleared swimmers from the water at Pleasant Grove Veterans Memorial Pool, 582 E. 300 South, on Tuesday, most people didn’t know why. It turned out to be a frightening emergency for the kids who were exposed and their parents.

As many as 50 people became sick after high amounts of chlorine were inadvertently pumped into the water. The majority of the victims were treated and released from two different Utah County hospitals later that night.

But Luke Burnett, who was the last child out of the pool, remained at Timponogos Regional Hospital until late Wednesday afternoon, when he was cleared to go home.

Luke said he was still feeling stomach pain, but nothing like the dizziness and loss of motor skills the 5-year-old experienced just after the chlorine exposure.

Luke Burnett is still feeling stomach pain today.

Luke Burnett is still feeling stomach pain today.

“I was a little terrified,” said his mom, Amanda Burnett.

The mother said it was like a scene out of a movie.

“The lifeguards started blowing their whistles,” she recalled.

She had just given her four kids a 10-minute warning before the family needed to leave. She spotted Luke in the middle of the pool, and called him in.

As Burnett prepared to leave with her kids, she still did not know what had happened. She thought to herself there might have been a drowning, or an injury. Then she saw the chaotic scene developing around her.

“I looked around and there were kids coughing, and kids foaming at the mouth, and throwing up blood, bloody noses. I turned around (and said) ‘What is going on?'” she said.

As they exited the pool area, police pointed kids and parents in the direction of medics.

“I looked at all of my kids, and none of us were coughing, none of us were having symptoms,” she said. “I thought ‘OK, we’ll just stay here.'”

But within minutes, Luke became extremely lethargic.

“Just kind of like bobbing his head and not really keeping it up straight.”

He was also starting to blister under his eyes. They hosed him off, as they were doing with others who had been exposed to the chlorine, but Luke was still struggling. Paramedics checked his blood-oxygen level, found it was low, and sent him to the hospital immediately.

“And then it just went downhill so fast,” she said.

The Burnett family recounts the chlorine incident in Pleasant Grove

The Burnett family recounts the chlorine incident in Pleasant Grove

Luke was the first patient admitted to pediatric intensive care Tuesday. Doctors gave him breathing treatments and oxygen to open up his airways.

The majority of the patients who ended up at the hospital breathed in small amounts of chlorine, and should not have any lingering concerns, doctors said.

“So, we had to watch to make sure that they didn’t develop any burns along their mouth and into their esophagus and into the stomach,” said Dr. Dustin Monroe, pediatric intensivist at Timpanogos Regional Hospital.

It was all-hands-on-deck kind at the hospitals Tuesday night. Timpanogos Regional Hospital called in extra personnel and enacted its mass casualty plan for the first time and had to triage patients as they arrived.

Doctors gave breathing treatments and oxygen therapy for respiratory injuries suffered from breathing in the chlorine.

“Some of the kids are going to still have some coughs,” said Monroe. “When chlorine gas affects your respiratory system, it can actually damage the cells inside of your lungs. That’s going to take some time to heal.”

Those who breathed larger amounts, or even ingested gulps of the water may have other concerns that they will need to monitor with their physician.

Pleasant Grove Veterans Memorial Pool remained closed Wednesday as officials inspected the pump and monitored chlorine levels in the water.

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

The Better Business Bureau has launched a new rescue line called the Scam Survivor Kit to help peop...

Matt Gephardt and Sloan Schrage

BBB launches toolkit to help connect people hit by scams with resources to recovery

The Better Business Bureau has launched a new rescue line called the Scam Survivor Kit to help people who have been the victims of fraud.

3 hours ago

bicycle in Salt Lake City...

Mike Anderson and Mary Culbertson, KSL TV

After an uptick in bicycle crashes, Utah law enforcement, Bicycle Collective plead for change

After recent statistics showed bicycle accidents were on the rise, Bicycle Collective and law enforcement are speaking out, asking for drivers and cyclists to meet in the middle.

3 hours ago

emergency lights...

Larry D. Curtis

1 dead, 1 injured after Jeep rolls down embankment

A man is dead and a woman is hospitalized with critical injuries after a single-vehicle crash on Interstate 70 in Sevier County Wednesday night.

4 hours ago

The cover of a recently released book, titled "When An Angel Leaves Your Life," by the father of Sp...

Garna Mejia

Father of Spanish Fork girl who disappeared in 1995 releases new book

The father of a Spanish Fork teen who disappeared and was killed in 1995 released a book he wrote on the pain of losing her, and how it brought him back to faith.

5 hours ago

Rocky Mountain Power customers have seen outages in the hottest days of the year, when they need it...

Lauren Steinbrecher

Utahns seeing more power outages from fire sensors this summer

Rocky Mountain Power customers have seen outages in the hottest days of the year, when they need it most. RMP says the cause is safety related.

6 hours ago

Hybrid Bermudagrass was formerly banned until Monday, when the Department of Agriculture gave it th...

Darby Sparks

Utahns can now install a grass that will survive 6 weeks without water

Hybrid Bermudagrass was formerly banned until Monday, when the Department of Agriculture gave it the stamp of approval after a BYU professor proved it to not be an invasive species. The grass could become a monumental help in water conservation efforts as it stays green for up to 6 weeks with no watering, unlike the commonly used Kentucky Bluegrass.

7 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

young male technician is repairing a printer at office...

Les Olson

Unraveling the dilemma between leasing and buying office technology

Carefully weigh these pros and cons to make an informed decision that best suits your business growth and day-to-day operation. 

A kitchen in a modern farmhouse....

Lighting Design

A room-by-room lighting guide for your home

Bookmark this room-by-room lighting guide whenever you decide to upgrade your lighting or style a new home.

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Two Swimmers Remain Hospitalized After Chlorine Exposure at Utah Pool