Boy Scout Injured By Bear In Utah County
SPRINGVILLE, Utah – A bear that wandered into a campsite in Utah County and “disturbed” a tent, causing minor scratches to a boy has been euthanized.
Officials with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources said the boy was expected to be okay.
The incident happened around 6 a.m. Tuesday at a private campground near the top of Hobble Creek Canyon. The camping area was on the left fork of the canyon.
Photos of the tears on the tent from the bear claws pic.twitter.com/tlhpLmYjMu
— Faith Heaton Jolley (@FaithHJolley) June 18, 2019
Crews went into the area, preparing to euthanize the animal.
“Because this bear exhibited a lack of fear toward people, when it is located, the bear will be euthanized,” officials said in a press release.
Information about the exact size and species of the bear was not available.
Crews from the Utah DWR and USDA Wildlife Services have been called in to coordinate a search for the bear. The U.S. Forest Service was also helping to notify campers in the area.
Officials asked the public to stay out of the area while trained crews worked to locate and trap the bear.
“Having unofficial personnel in the area could disrupt efforts to locate the bear,” the release said.
A press conference was scheduled for 12:30 p.m. in Springville, where officials planned to give updates on the boy’s condition and the decision to euthanize bear.
The @UtahDWR says there was no food in the tent and the campsite was clean. Boy not taken to hospital, but recommended to be checked out by a doctor. Bear was euthanized over belief it had lost its fear of people.
— Sam Penrod (@KSLsampenrod) June 18, 2019
For more information about wildlife awareness and safety visit Wild Aware Utah.
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 21408)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 14286)
- R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in sex trafficking case (pageviews: 6417)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 5704)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4791)
- Yellowstone bison gores Colorado man, causes arm injury (pageviews: 3806)