Thousands Gather Hours Before Trump 2020 Rally
WASHINGTON (AP) – A boisterous crowd of thousands of supporters has gathered in front of the Amway Center arena in Orlando, Florida, hours before President Donald Trump will hold a rally to formally launch his reelection campaign.
A cover band on a stage played Southern rock standards such as Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home, Alabama.”
Vendors for blocks around sold water, as well as pins, hats and T-shirts with slogans including “Trump 2020” and “ICE ICE Baby.” In the summer heat, some women wore “Make America Great Again” bathing suits.
Fifty-six-year-old Margaret McDeed says she came from Tampa and supports Trump because “his policies are for the American people.” She adds that, as a tax accountant, she’s seen savings from the Republican-backed tax cuts.
Thirty-three year old Alex Fuentes wore a shirt that said “Make Democrats cry again.”
The rally is set to begin at 8 p.m. local time.
To Trump, Republican enthusiasm is at an all-time high. But the political event is also drawing protesters.
Trump says his re-election launch will be a political spectacle. In a tweet, he says: “People have never seen anything like it (unless you play a guitar). Going to be wild — See you later!”
Opponents are launching their protests at a gay bar in Orlando. The city is home to a large Puerto Rican population and it’s also where a shooting at a gay nightclub killed 49 people three years ago.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)