Utah State Prison Population Booming
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A new review of the prison system shows that, despite a major overhaul for nonviolent drug offenders, the Utah State Prison added 250 inmates in 2018.
The Deseret News reports it’s the largest 12-month increase in 20 years.
From July 2108 to May 2019, about 21 new prisoners were processed each month.
The state’s new facility, being built west of the Salt Lake International Airport, will have 400 fewer beds available than at the current prison in Draper.
- Utah boy dies after falling off school slide (pageviews: 19686)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 9869)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 8132)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 7085)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 5854)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3704)