Bear Captured After Wandering Through Neighborhood
MAPLETON, Utah – A bear has been captured and immobilized after wandering through a residential neighborhood about a mile away from the entrance to Hobble Creek Canyon.
Officials with the Mapleton Police Department said the bear was first spotted around 7:50 a.m. Thursday in a yard at 1700 North 600 East.
A resident has been walking their dog through the area when they saw the bear.
Update: bear has been located in town. DNR has immobilized the bear and he will be relocated this afternoon. Pics…
The bear was seen again 30 minutes later less than a quarter-mile away. Police said the bear had been rummaging through a tipped-over garbage can when it was spooked and ran away.
Crews from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources joined officers in a search for the bear. It was located and immobilized.
Police said the bear was expected to be relocated Thursday afternoon.
The incident comes two days after another bear was euthanized after coming into contact with a Boy Scout group towards the top of Hobble Creek Canyon.
Officials said the bear wandered into as private campground and made contact with a tent where a boy happened to be laying.
The boy suffered minor scratches and was not taken to the hospital.
“Because this bear exhibited a lack of fear toward people, when it is located, the bear will be euthanized,” officials said in a press release.
On Wednesday, there was another reported sighting of a bear in Hobble Creek Canyon. Crews searched the area and were unable to find an animal.
Black bears are the only bears to inhabit Utah, though the color of the animals can vary from white to black and various shades of brown.
Officials have asked outdoor recreationists to use precautions when in or near wilderness areas.
For more information about wildlife awareness and safety visit Wild Aware Utah.
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 8768)
- Get Gephardt: Husband sued for deceased wife’s unpaid medical bill - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6320)
- Judge calls Orem mayor 'lynchpin' in fraud case, orders him and son to pay $1M (pageviews: 5012)
- NB I-15 reopens following crash, massive oil spill in Draper - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4958)
- NB I-15 closed in Draper following multi-car crash, oil spill (pageviews: 4861)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4639)