POLICE: 17-Year-Old Dies in Millcreek Canyon After ‘Accidental Discharge’ of Gun During Struggle with Relative
MILLCREEK, Utah – A 17-year-old has died after police say a gun went off while him and a relative were struggling over it Friday in Millcreek Canyon.
Unified police officers on the canyon patrol responded to the trailhead at 4700 East in Millcreek Canyon on reports of a male with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
People near the area were giving medical aid when officials arrived, police said.
Detectives from the UPD Violent Crimes Unit responded and took over the investigation. During their investigation, detectives determined that the injury was not self-inflicted and ultimately took 19-year-old Emilio Madrigal-Rios into custody.
Madrigal-Rios was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on the investigation of charges of manslaughter and obstruction of justice, which are second and third degree felonies.
The victim’s identity is not being released at this time due to his age. However, police did say, the victim and suspect are related.
The investigation is ongoing, and formal charges are expected to be screened with the District Attorney’s Office early next week.
At this time there are no other outstanding suspects and there is not a general public safety risk, according to Detective Kevin Mallory.
- Anchorage Alaska Temple to be rebuilt, moved to a new location - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8444)
- Search warrant reveals neighbors discovered bodies of Haight family (pageviews: 7455)
- Body found inside limestone kiln in Salt Lake City foothills (pageviews: 6751)
- Slain Enoch girl texted friend that dad was acting strange and she was worried (pageviews: 5763)
- ‘Overwhelming’ response for radon testing after Lehi woman shares cancer diagnosis story - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5046)
- Snow College employee found dead in off-campus student housing unit (pageviews: 3984)