High 5: 30-Year Miss Utah Volunteer Retires
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Each year a new young lady is crowned Miss Utah, but for the last 30 years one person has remained constant: Miss Utah’s right-hand lady and volunteer Leean Gray.
“I knew who she was the moment I started competing for Miss Utah,” said Miss Utah 2009 Whitney Thomas. “Everyone knows Leeann and she is just this burst of sunshine and happiness.”
Former Misses Utah like Thomas and Jesse Craig (2018) say Leean’s positive energy has always helped on those sometimes long drives making appearances throughout the state of Utah.
“You could talk about anything with her, open book and she would help you prepare for presentations,” said Thomas.
She’s generous and helps the girls get comfortable in their new role.
“I’m kind of forgetful and when I forget things she’s patient with me, she’s so kind and understanding,” said Craig.
This year, while Craig prepared to pass on her crown to the next Miss Utah, what she didn’t pass on is Leean. After three decades of volunteering, the mother and grandmother is retiring and so now the attentions is all on her when the organization nominated Leean for a KSL High 5.
While Leean prefers to not be the center of attention, her selfless personality shines through in everything she’s done and each Miss Utah and the organization wanted her to be recognized.
She says she will still help with the annual competition, but won’t be on the road anymore and will be dedicating more time to her family and great grandchildren.
- KSL Investigates: Was Turbulent Protest Caused By ‘Out Of State' Instigators? (pageviews: 14132)
- 41 Arrested, 21 Officers Hurt In Downtown SLC Protest (pageviews: 12537)
- Salt Lake Begins Process To Clean Up, Assess Damage From Protest (pageviews: 11883)
- May 2020 Downtown Protest - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9844)
- Clean-Up Crews Gather Downtown After Protests Turn Violent (pageviews: 9472)
- Salt Lake Issues Week-Long Curfew For Overnight Hours (pageviews: 8230)
- Man Detained After Brandishing Bow & Arrow; Car Lit On Fire By Protesters (pageviews: 7744)
- Curfew Enacted As Protests Continue In SLC; Multiple Cars Set On Fire (pageviews: 7581)
- Live (pageviews: 6862)