2 In Custody, 2 At Large After Stabbing That Left Maverik Clerk Dead
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A 21-year-old man has been booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on homicide charges after one person was killed and another critically injured in a stabbing near downtown.
The incident happened at approximately 3:15 a.m. Wednesday at the Maverik gas station located at 1300 South and Main Street.
Officials said some type of altercation took place, and a Maverik employee was stabbed and died at the scene. A second person involved in the altercation was injured and taken to the hospital.
Police at the scene said the second stabbing victim was also male.
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaNews) July 3, 2019
Two people have been taken into custody and two suspects remain at large, officials said. One of those suspects, 21-year-old Tukka Gonne, was taken into custody and booked on homicide charges.
The clerk’s identity has not been released.
In a statement, Maverik Vice President David Hancock expressed condolences to the clerk’s family and offered support to employees.
“It is with great sadness that Maverik had a valued member of our team killed last night at our store,” according to the statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this difficult time.”
“Maverik Human Resources is providing assistance to teammates who may be feeling overwhelmed,” the statement continues, “and grief counselors are available for additional help through our employee assistance program.”
Investigators from the Salt Lake Police Department planned to hold a media briefing Wednesday at 1:45 p.m. to provide updates on the case.
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)