Gas Line Ruptured At Alta High School; Students, Faculty Evacuated
SANDY, Utah – Students taking part of summer programs at Alta High School had to evacuate Wednesday morning after a natural gas leak, authorities said.
The rupture occurred at approximately 8 a.m. while construction crews were working on the large renovation project at the school, according to the Sandy Fire Department.
“We immediately evacuated Alta High School this morning because of the broken pipe,” said Canyons School District spokesperson Jeff Haney. “Everyone remained safe during the entire incident.”
Dominion Energy responded to repair a ruptured 4-inch line. The pipe served only the high school, officials said, but a breeze blew some of the fumes toward homes where neighbors reported smelling gas. Sandy City’s hazmat crew said they found there was no threat.
“There is the mercaptan that is combined with the gas that gives the indication there is a gas leak,” said Sandy Fire Department Deputy Chief Ryan McConaghie. “That is what they are smelling. As we went around with the instruments within the school and around the surrounding areas, there were no levels that showed up on the monitors to be of concern.”
Those evacuated included student groups from the marching band, drill team and dance team. Alta High School faculty and staff were also evacuated.
The district says students and staff were allowed back in once it was deemed safe.
On scene at @AltaHighSchool after construction caused a gas leak. @DomEnergyUtah on site and multiple units from Sandy fire. @canyonsdistrict says students here for dance practice and admin evacuated. #ksltv pic.twitter.com/PPpVOHxGwW
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaNews) July 10, 2019
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 5286)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 4285)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3692)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 2165)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 2065)
- 2 men arrested for allegedly enticing minors online and by text (pageviews: 2003)