Fire Engulfs Latter-day Saints Church in Cottonwood Heights
Jul 14, 2019, 9:31 AM | Updated: 9:45 am
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah – An early morning fire fully engulfed a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints church near 3680 E. Brighton Point Drive Sunday morning, Unified Fire Authority said.
Officials said the first call came in around 2:45 a.m.
“One of the neighbors kinda woke up to the smell of smoke, thought they could see some flames so they called 911,” Kevin Garner with Unified Fire Authority said.
Crews arrived at the church around 2:51 a.m.
“When they pulled up there was flames actually coming through the roof and quite a bit of smoke,” Garner said. “There was quite a bit of fire throughout the foyer and chapel area even some extension into the gymnasium area.”
Units from UFA and Murray worked to put the blaze out and around 3:26 a.m. officials say “the fire was knocked down”.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. There were no injuries.
“The investigators were there most of the night and they weren’t able to do too much until this morning once it got a little bit brighter,” Garner said.
Garner said the building did have an alarm system that failed to notify, or notified too late about the blaze.
“Luckily, a neighbor was able to see it, smell it, and get someone there,” Garner said.
KSL 5 TV Live
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16465)
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8845)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8387)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7811)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6345)