Round Peak Fire Caused By Campfire, Authorities Say
SPRINGVILLE, Utah – Fire officials said they are confident the Round Peak Fire, which has been burning in Utah County since Monday night, was caused by humans.
Toby Weed, with the U.S. Forest Service, said the blaze sparked sometime after 10 p.m. when a campfire got out of control.
“There was a campfire involved, and it wasn’t abandoned,” he said. “The people saw the fire start and they weren’t able to stop it.”
Crews worked throughout the night to keep the fire at bay as it burned as close as half a mile from homes.
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) July 16, 2019
Residents in Springville were on edge as they watched the mountainside burn near their houses. Although no evacuations have been ordered, some who live near the Bonneville Shoreline are still concerned.
“Oh I’m scared,” said resident Bunlay Ang, who got little-to-no sleep Monday night as he worried he and his family might have to evacuate.
Some residents prepared to leave — just in case.
“I just signed up for the citywide alerts just so we are alerted,” said resident Chris Baxter. “My wife and I keep most of our important documents in a case ready to pick up if we have to go anywhere.”
Fire officials said being prepared and paying attention are the two most important factors when a wildfire is burning close to a home.
Viewer pic from Douglas Markham showing how close flames came to homes as firefighters battle the #RoundPeakFire. Ground crews now getting air support, but still at 175/200 acres and expected to grow. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/Zo2KQe2iD6
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaNews) July 16, 2019
The blaze grew to 200 acres Tuesday, according to Utah Fire Info, and authorities said they expect it to grow. Weed said the hot weather and sustained southwest winds will likely help fuel the fire.
Multiple resources were being utilized to combat the fire, including four single engine air tankers, one Type 1 helicopter, one Type 3 helicopter, two hotshot crews, two initial attack crews, and two engines.
Utah was under a red flag warning Tuesday. Fire officials stressed that dry grass and bushes burn easily and quickly. They urged those who start campfires to be prepared with water and to make sure the fire is completely extinguished before leaving it.
- Kirstie Alley, Emmy-winning ‘Cheers’ star, dies at 71 (pageviews: 23761)
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 6035)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5428)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 5364)
- ‘It’s kind of an eerie feeling;’ Utah man living in Hawaii witnesses Mauna Loa eruption - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4461)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 3951)