Family Remembers 19-Year-Old Shot And Killed In WVC As ‘Gentle Giant’
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — The family of Neko Jardine is remembering the 19-year-old as a kind and loving young man who lost his life too soon.
“He should not have died,” Stefie Munk, Jardine’s cousin said. “This should not have happened. He had his whole life ahead of him.”
West Valley City police said early Sunday morning an altercation took place outside of a home near 5625 West and 4360 South. Jardine and two others were injured in the shooting; Jardine died from his injuries.
His family said he only got involved to break up the altercation.
“He broke the fight up and that wasn’t what people wanted to happen and so they came back with guns and shot him six times,” Munk said. “He was not affiliated with gangs, he did not do drugs, he did not drink alcohol. He was a very good kid just wanted to keep people safe.”
Munk said he lived and took care of his grandmother who raised him in West Valley City.
“He was looking at college and a mission but he couldn’t leave his ‘Nana’ and so he stayed to take care of her,” she said.
The family is fighting for justice and asking those with information about the shooter to come forward.
“If there is anybody who knows something, we would love for them to speak up,” Munk said.
Police released partial photos of the suspect’s car described as a red Nissan Altima or Maxima. If you have any information about the suspect, call West Valley City Police at 801-840-4000.
A GoFundMe account has been set up to help Jardine’s family with funeral costs.
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 6449)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6433)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 6050)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5371)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3347)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3137)