Man Airlifted To Hospital After Falling 65 Feet From Spanish Fork Tunnel
SPANISH FORK, Utah – A teen was severely injured late Thursday night after falling approximately 65 feet while hiking in Utah County, officials said.
According to the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, the male, believed to be about 18, was hiking with four other individuals when he fell from a tunnel. The incident happened in a restricted area near Spanish Fork River Park at approximately 11:30 p.m.
UCSO Sgt. Peter Quittener said the young man fell in an area that was difficult to access. It took crews about 1 1/2 hours to get to him and assess his condition.
The victim sustained abdominal and head injuries.
“I know he was beat up pretty good,” Quittener said.
The teenager was transported by helicopter to a nearby hospital. Additional information on the hiker’s condition and his identity have not yet been released.
Quittener said this isn’t the first time someone fell from that spot. Another person fell and died at that location several years ago, which is why the area is now restricted.
“Be aware of where you’re going,” he said. “If you’re not supposed to be there, stay out. It’s not worth it.”
“Things can happen,” he added. “There’s a reason we try to keep people out.”
No other injuries were reported.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)