Firework Hits And Explodes In Grill Of Herriman Officer’s Patrol Car
HERRIMAN, Utah — A Herriman officer’s call to the report of fireworks being discharged in an illegal area, resulted in a close call, when an errant aerial firework made a direct hit on the grill of his patrol car. It happened in a vacant field, west of the Mountain View Corridor, near 13400 South, late Wednesday evening.
Now, the neighbors who thought the undeveloped field was a good place to ignite their fireworks, are learning a very hard lesson and it was all caught on video.
“Certainly a dramatic and stressful situation for the officer something that will get your stress level up,” said Lt. Cody Stromberg, with the Herriman Police Department.
The officer was not hurt and the patrol car suffered minor damage. Still other errant fireworks ignited the dry grass, and the fire department was called to put it out.
“Unfortunately a series of poor decisions on the part of those individuals,” Stromberg said.
One man, who police say was cooperative and apologetic, was cited with a Class C misdemeanor for illegally discharging fireworks.
“That individual will have to go to justice court and stand up in front of the judge and try and justify some of those poor decisions,” he added.
Like most communities, Herriman has restrictions on where fireworks can be ignited, even during the legal discharge time, before and after a holiday.
Here, they are prohibited within 200 feet of a vacant field.
“Every year we have issues with people discharging fireworks illegally,” he said.
Now with the video to prove it, Herriman police hope everyone will see for themselves, why it’s important to follow the warnings on the labels and abide by these fireworks restrictions.
“They’re not just arbitrary lines drawn on a map, a lot of hard work goes into making it as safe as possible, while at the same time providing opportunities for people to celebrate the holidays,” he said.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 21340)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 8551)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 7157)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 6307)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 3940)