Man Dies After Falling From Rock Canyon In Provo
PROVO, Utah — A man died from a fall at Rock Canyon Tuesday morning, police said.
At about 8:15 a.m., emergency crews received a call from a person who was relaying a message from the man asking for help after he had gotten stuck on a mountainside in Utah County, Provo Police Lt. Nisha King said.
Crews were initially led to believe the person was stuck at Slate Canyon, but they pinged his phone about 15 minutes after the initial call and found the man was actually at Rock Canyon. A Utah County search and rescue team was dispatched to the Rock Canyon, she said.
“Our rescue team was called out as well, and when we got up here he had already fallen from the mountainside,” King said.
Search and Rescue utilized the Utah Highway Patrol helicopter to locate the remains of the main, according to police. The hiker, a 43-year-old Provo resident, fell from a significant height, according to the preliminary investigation.
Police didn’t immediately release the man’s identity. She didn’t know how far the man fell other than he was at the peak of the canyon when he fell.
This story will be updated at KSL.com as more information becomes available.
KSL TV contributed to this article.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)