Man Honored For Effort To Prevent Suicidal Person From Jumping Off Overpass
LAYTON, Utah – A Davis County man has been recognized by police for his part in keeping a suicidal individual from jumping off an overpass above Interstate 15.
Officials with the Layton City Police Department said Steven Midgley was on Gentile Street near the I-15 overpass in April when he saw a man attempting to jump onto the roadway below.
The man was standing against a chain link barrier protecting pedestrians from falling.
Midgley and others quickly responded to the man and held the man by his arms, keeping him from falling.
When officers arrived on the scene, they also reached through the fence to hold the man in place.
Officials said there was some danger in the effort of Midgley or the officers falling over the bridge themselves, but they were able to work together to pull the man to safety, while helping keep each other in place.
“The Layton City Police Department wishes to recognize Mr. Midgley for his outstanding strength, bravery, and teamwork in saving this man’s life,” police said in a statement.
Midgley was awarded the police department’s Life Saving Award for his quick actions.
SUICIDE PREVENTION RESOURCES
If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts or exhibiting warning signs, call the National Suicide PreventionLifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Additional Crisis Hotlines
- Utah County Crisis Line: 801-226-4433
- Salt Lake County/UNI Crisis Line: 801-587-3000
- Wasatch Mental Health Crisis Line: 801-373-7393
- National Suicide Prevention Crisis Text Line: Text “HOME” to 741-741
- Trevor Project Hotline for LGBTQ teens: 1-866-488-7386
- University Of Utah Crisis Interventional Crisis Line: 801-587-300
- NAMI Utah
- Utah Chapter-American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Safe UT Crisis Text and Tip Line
In an emergency
- Call the police
- Go to the emergency room
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 12623)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 8243)
- Netflix’s ‘Falling for Christmas’ filmed at these charming Utah locations - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6214)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as ‘the life of the party’ - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5376)
- Utah family gets 'a measure of justice' in 50-year-old rape case (pageviews: 5319)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4730)