Identity Released Of Suspect In Officer-Involved Shooting
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Police have released the identity of the man who was shot and killed by police. They said the man confronted officers and began firing at them.
The man killed was identified as 29-year-old Riche Antonio Santiago.
Investigators said Santiago pulled out a gun and fired shots at two of their officers on Monday around 7 p.m. at the Park Place Apartments located at 700 South 350 East in Salt Lake City.
According to officials from the Salt Lake City Police Department, almost immediately after the officers arrived they were confronted by the 29-year-old. They said Santiago pulled out a gun and fired at the officers, and in return, he was shot and killed.
“Engaged in gunfire, shot at our officers, our officers returned fire. There was a gun recovered,” said Detective Greg Wilking.
Neither officer was struck by gunfire, but it was unclear if anyone else was hit in any crossfire. The officers were initially responding to a 911 hang-up call at the apartments. Police said they have not determined if the two were related.
The scene unfolded in front of nearby residents who described hearing all the gunfire. Officials with the Salt Lake Police Department said it was as a dynamic and quick incident that took place.
Police said Santiago died on scene, but did not say whether he lived at the apartments or not. Santiago has a criminal history that includes both misdemeanors and felonies for failing to stop at the commands of law enforcement.
He also failed to show up for a court appearances in May and had warrants issued out for his arrest.
Detective Wilking said body camera video appears to have been working, and it was expected to be released in the next 10 working days, in accordance with department policy.
The West Valley City Police Department has taken over the investigation. The officers were placed on routine paid administrative leave, pending the outcome of the investigation.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8296)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 5701)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4813)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3465)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3004)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2451)