UHP: Man Killed in Rollover Crash on I-15 in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A man has died after being ejected from a silver SUV during a rollover crash on I-15, Utah Highway Patrol troopers said.
On Saturday around 1:45 a.m., the male driver was in the silver SUV heading northbound on the I-15 collector near 1500 South, troopers said. He was the only occupant in the SUV and was not wearing his seat belt.
Troopers said he drifted left and side-swiped the concrete barrier on the left side of the collector ramp then over-corrected back to the right and struck the right concrete barrier, causing the SUV to overturn.
As the SUV rolled onto its side, the man was ejected. He suffered significant injuries and died on scene, troopers said.
Troopers said they found evidence of alcohol and drug impairment on scene and believe that played a role in the collision. Troopers also noted the minimal damage to the passenger compartment of the vehicle and believe it is probable the driver would have survived the collision had he been properly restrained.
The collector ramp was closed as troopers completed an investigation of the crash. The driver’s identity is not being released at this time, pending notification to immediate family members.
In a press release, UHP wrote:
“This crash is a tragic example of the dangers of both impaired driving and being inside a vehicle without properly wearing a seat belt or child restraint. Troopers would remind all drivers to never get behind the wheel when under the influence of any drug or alcohol. We would also remind all occupants in a vehicle to buckle up, every trip, every time. Your safety is largely in your own hands.”
- Wednesday's Child: Austin Finds His Forever Home After 5,449 Days In Foster Care (pageviews: 12390)
- Street Painter Sprays Several Neighborhood Cars In West Jordan (pageviews: 9711)
- Arizona Police Say They Plan To File Charges Against Lori Vallow (pageviews: 5916)
- Parents Rally For 5-Day, In-Person Learning At Davis School District (pageviews: 4623)
- State Revises Back-To-School COVID-19 Plan, Removes 'Modified Quarantine' (pageviews: 3800)
- Ammonium Nitrate May Have Sparked Beirut Explosion. It Also Happened In Texas In 1947 (pageviews: 3395)
- Salt Lake Community College Taylorsville Campus Shelter-In-Place Lifted (pageviews: 3188)
- State Revises Back-To-School COVID-19 Plan (pageviews: 3184)
- ‘Mistakes Were Made,’ But Cox Stands By Utah’s COVID-19 Response (pageviews: 2228)