Woman Critically Injured After Vehicle Hit By TRAX Train In Murray
MURRAY, Utah – An adult woman and a child were injured after their vehicle was hit by a train Monday morning, Utah Transit Authority officials said.
The driver, a 33-year-old female, was transported to the Intermountain Healthcare Center in critical condition. The passenger, an 8-year-old, sustained minor injuries and was released by paramedics to her father.
According to UTA spokesman Carl Arky, the vehicle was hit by a southbound TRAX train near the Murray Central Station at approximately 8:30 a.m.
Arky said the vehicle was approaching the rail intersection near 100 West Vine Street when the crossing guard arms activated.
The vehicle stopped several feet past the stop line and officials said the gate arm came down and rested on the rear of the car.
Arky said the TRAX operator saw the vehicle and activated his horn; as the train approached the intersection, the vehicle accelerated and was struck by the train and pushed 60 feet down the tracks.
A bus bridge was put in place but was deactivated just after 10 a.m. Full train service was restored by 12:15 p.m.
UTA officials said the crossing signal appeared to be working properly when the accident occurred. They wanted to remind drivers to remain behind the stop line when crossing lights and bells activate to create a safe space for passing trains.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)