Police To Release Video Of Officer Shooting Man Inside DUI Processing Center
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah – Body-camera video of a man being fatally shot by a West Valley City Police officer inside a DUI processing room should be released to the public within the next two weeks, according to a police spokesperson.
The shooting happened Friday evening in the basement of West Valley City Hall, killing 31-year-old Chad Michael Breinholt.
“There were several officers on scene during this incident and we do know that body-camera video does exist from this incident,” said WVCPD spokesperson Roxeanne Vainuku.
Breinholt was taken into custody around 7 p.m. the same evening in the area of 2900 South and Redwood Road after police got a call of an intoxicated man causing problems at his girlfriend’s workplace.
“Officers determined that there was evidence that Breinholt was under the influence and that he had been driving a vehicle while in that condition,” a police statement said.
Once at the police department’s DUI processing room, the statement said an altercation took place between Breinholt and officers, and one officer fired his weapon. Emergency medical assistance was summoned but police said Breinholt was already deceased.
“The room is very, very small,” Vainuku said about the DUI processing area, adding that it only has space for two chairs and an intoxilyzer, which is a machine used for breath alcohol testing. Vainuku said it is not believed the room had surveillance cameras.
Even though West Valley City does not have a written policy dictating that the body-camera footage be released within a two-week timeframe, Vainuku said that is the department’s goal.
West Valley City Police could not comment further on the shooting death because the incident has been turned over to Salt Lake City Police for an independent investigation.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8296)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 5701)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4813)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3465)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3004)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2451)