Family Hopes To Deliver 101 Cards To Spanish Fork Mailman Celebrating 101st Birthday
SPANISH FORK, Utah – A Utah family is hoping to surprise one Spanish Fork man with 101 cards as he prepares to celebrate his 101st birthday.
Mark McKell has become a fixture in his hometown of Spanish Fork, where he raised his family and had a career working in the post office for the next 38 years.
“My mother said ‘why don’t you take the postal exam?'” he said. “Well, I took it and happened to get the highest on it and got an offer right away.”
That career allowed him to get to know just about everyone in town.
Now, Mark walks a mile a day on the streets of Spanish Fork, where he was born in 1918 and lived until he was drafted in World War II.
“I’ve been in Spanish Fork, ever since I was released from the Army,” he said.
Most mornings you’ll find Mark playing his custom made organ.
“I play an hour most days on this Lowry organ to keep my fingers and my mind sharp,” he said.
But as his 101st birthday approaches, Mark said he wanted to keep things simple.
“Anyone who wants to come and visit me are welcome, but I don’t believe I want a big party again,” he said.
So his family came up with another idea to help him celebrate and honor his career in the post office.
“We are wanting him to receive 101 birthday cards for his birthday since he loves receiving mail. We think he is special and hope this 101st birthday is special for him,” said granddaughter Ashley Christiansen.
If you would like to send Mark a card, send it to Mark McKell, General Delivery, Spanish Fork, UT 84660.
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5415)
- Locations of 6 international temples released (pageviews: 4509)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 3865)
- Police confirm no shooting has occurred at Granger Elementary School; school evacuated (pageviews: 2338)
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 2300)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 2293)