Safe In 60: Obey Canyon Restriction To Protect Our Watershed
LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON, Utah – The Wasatch Front is full of beautiful trails for hiking and biking, but there is an important reason pets aren’t allowed in many of the canyons.
Popular canyons such as Big and Little Cottonwood, City Creek and Parleys provide up to 60% of the Salt Lake Valley drinking water. These and other watershed areas have restrictions in place to protect that water.
- No horses, dogs or other domesticated animals.
- No swimming or wading by humans or animals, unless you’re using fishing waders.
- Camping restrictions in certain areas.
Unlike native wildlife, waste from dogs and other domesticated animals contains bacteria and parasites that can contaminate drinking water. The cleaner the water is when it hits the treatment facility, the less likely any bacteria will make it into our glass.
Our safety when it comes to our drinking water is taken seriously. A fine for a watershed violation can run as high as $600.
Here is a list of the protected watershed canyons in the Salt Lake area – please read their rules and restrictions before visiting:
- City Creek Canyon (above picnic site #16)
- Parleys Canyon
- Big Cottonwood Canyon
- Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Lambs Canyon
- Emigration Canyon (above Burrs Fork)
- Dell Canyon
Non-watershed canyons – dogs are allowed in these canyons, but please always clean up after your pets:
- Bonneville Shoreline Trail
- Millcreek Canyon – some restrictions apply, check here for more info: https://slco.org/parks/millcreek-canyon/%E2%80%A8
- Emigration Canyon
- Jordan River Parkway
- Neffs Canyon
- City Creek Canyon (1,000 feet below the water treatment plant)
- East Canyon
- Mt. Olympus Trail
- Ferguson Canyon Trail
- Tanner Park
- Most trails in the Park City area
- KSL Investigates: Was Turbulent Protest Caused By ‘Out Of State' Instigators? (pageviews: 32985)
- Police: Man, Two Boys Killed In Apparent South Jordan Murder-Suicide (pageviews: 10951)
- Daybreak Community Rocked By Murder-Suicide Involving Young Boys (pageviews: 7272)
- Police: 10-Year-Old Kamas Boy Dies From Gunshot Wound (pageviews: 6208)
- Man Who Defended 7-Eleven From Looters Speaks With KSL (pageviews: 5609)
- Sen. Klobuchar: All 4 Officers Involved In George Floyd's Death Now Face Charges (pageviews: 5316)
- Man, Two Boys Killed In South Jordan Double Murder-Suicide (pageviews: 5040)
- Man, Two Boys Killed In South Jordan Double Murder-Suicide (pageviews: 4951)
- Vegas Officer On Life Support After Attack During Protests (pageviews: 3924)