Search And Rescue Crews Looking For Missing Kayakers On Great Salt Lake
ANTELOPE ISLAND, Utah – Search and rescue crews are looking for two kayakers who were reported missing on the Great Salt Lake at 7 p.m. Thursday.
A third kayaker, who reached Antelope Island and called police, has been rescued.
The two missing kayakers are 20-year-old males in t-shirts and shorts. Police said none of the kayakers had life jackets.
Officials said the three kayakers planned on going from Stansbury Island to two other islands on the Great Salt Lake before finishing their journey at Antelope Island.
Police said they lost sight of each other on the lake around 3 p.m.
One kayaker reached the northwest corner of Antelope Island and called for help at 7 p.m. Crews from the Utah Divison of Wildlife Resources and Davis County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue are combing beaches and coves in the areas.
A Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter was assisting in the search. A second helicopter was called in while the first refueled and officials were working on securing a helicopter from the Utah National Guard that is equipped with heat-vision technology.
Police said conditions include 20 mph winds and seven-foot waves on the Great Salt Lake and temperatures dropped into the 40s Thursday night.
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7375)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 7194)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6211)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5382)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station (pageviews: 4290)
- Centerville wildfire ‘most likely’ caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4224)