Thousands Gather In Utah As Part Of Global Climate Strike
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Thousands gathered Friday for a global climate strike and march at the Utah State Capitol.
Organizers said more than 2,000 people gathered for the strike, which was spearheaded by students and supporters who left school and work demanding an end to the use of fossil fuels.
“Utah’s climate strikers convened at the Salt Lake City and County Building at noon, marched along State Street to the Utah State Capitol Building, and rallied with youth speakers and supporting elders until 4:00 p.m.,” according to a press release by Brooke Larsen, one of the media contacts for the strike.
Many young activists from several organizations gathered at the Salt Lake County building saying immediate action on climate change is necessary.
Organizers said youths from Fridays for Future SLC, Utah Youth Climate Strike, and Utah Youth for Environmental Solutions organized the strike in Salt Lake with the support of dozens of organizations.
They cited a report from the intergovernmental panel on climate change claiming carbon emissions must be reduced by 45% “by 2030 to prevent climate catastrophe,” the press release said.
“In the 2020 election, I will be one month too young to vote. I care so deeply about the climate crisis and to know that I don’t get a say in what happens next year terrifies me,” said Ari Grace, an activist with Fridays for Future. “How do I know the adults will make the right decision? I will show them the right decision. I can’t vote, but I can strike.”
According to the strike’s organizers, today’s strike is one of 2,500 events planned in over 117 countries. Organizers said they expected millions to turn out.
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13500)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 8905)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 8598)
- Neighborhood supports family of West Jordan mom killed in Big Cottonwood Canyon crash (pageviews: 7665)
- West Jordan woman killed in crash with truck in Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 6396)
- Heber homicide suspect found dead in Oregon (pageviews: 4997)