SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Thousands gathered Friday for a global climate strike and march at the Utah State Capitol.
Organizers said more than 2,000 people gathered for the strike, which was spearheaded by students and supporters who left school and work demanding an end to the use of fossil fuels.
“Utah’s climate strikers convened at the Salt Lake City and County Building at noon, marched along State Street to the Utah State Capitol Building, and rallied with youth speakers and supporting elders until 4:00 p.m.,” according to a press release by Brooke Larsen, one of the media contacts for the strike.
Many young activists from several organizations gathered at the Salt Lake County building saying immediate action on climate change is necessary.
Organizers said youths from Fridays for Future SLC, Utah Youth Climate Strike, and Utah Youth for Environmental Solutions organized the strike in Salt Lake with the support of dozens of organizations.
They cited a report from the intergovernmental panel on climate change claiming carbon emissions must be reduced by 45% “by 2030 to prevent climate catastrophe,” the press release said.
“In the 2020 election, I will be one month too young to vote. I care so deeply about the climate crisis and to know that I don’t get a say in what happens next year terrifies me,” said Ari Grace, an activist with Fridays for Future. “How do I know the adults will make the right decision? I will show them the right decision. I can’t vote, but I can strike.”
According to the strike’s organizers, today’s strike is one of 2,500 events planned in over 117 countries. Organizers said they expected millions to turn out.
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Of Missing Children (pageviews: 18550)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 7910)
- Former Mission Companion Of Chad Daybell In Disbelief After Developments (pageviews: 6582)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Showing Child Behaving Erratically Before Disappearance (pageviews: 6158)
- Mike Rowe Makes Online Plea To Help West Jordan Toymaker (pageviews: 3718)
- Dirty Dining? KSL Investigators Look Into Popular Salt Lake Restaurant Rankings (pageviews: 3224)
- Police: Body Found In Pipe Near Target In Salt Lake City 'Suspicious' (pageviews: 3083)
- Police Confirm No Escapees After Reported Nevada Prison Camp Riot (pageviews: 2948)
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 2669)