Safe In 60: How To Prepare To Safely Enjoy The Outdoors
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah – The mountains along the Wasatch Front are beautiful and provide an endless amount of hiking and biking trails. But without the proper preparation, those trails can be dangerous.
Each year, Salt Lake County Sheriff Search and Rescue responds to 50-90 missions. In most of those cases, thinking ahead and making the proper preparations could have prevented the need for rescue.
Wayne Bashan with the Search and Rescue team, provided some advice on the best way to prepare for an outdoor adventure:
- Never hike alone.
- Always tell someone where you’re going and when you will be back. And leave a visible note in your car indicating that same information. That way, if you are overdue, someone will know.
- Plan your hike and hike your plan. Don’t ever deviate.
- Fully charge your phone before hiking, in case you need to be located by emergency personnel.
- If you think you are lost, call 911. Don’t waste battery life on making calls to anyone else or using any apps until rescue crews arrive.
- Be aware of changing weather and have the “10 essentials” in a lightweight backpack.
- Insulation (extra clothing)
- First-Aid supplies
- Sun protection
- Hydration (extra water)
- Nutrition (extra food)
- Repair kit and tools
- Emergency shelter
Once you get to the trailhead take 60 seconds to double check your gear. With a little extra planning, you can make each adventure in our beautiful mountains memorable.
For more information, follow the Salt Lake County Sheriff Search and Rescue Facebook Page.
- US coach makes dramatic rescue of artistic swimmer at worlds (pageviews: 12230)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 7508)
- Utah woman killed, one person injured in Nevada crash (pageviews: 5653)
- Teen trying to save another swimmer drowns in Deer Creek (pageviews: 5638)
- Utah couple gets hit with sky-high surprise air ambulance bill – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4110)
- 5 planets take center stage as they align in the night sky (pageviews: 3222)