Dump Truck Causes Extended Provo Power Outage
PROVO, Utah – Dozens of homes were without power after officials said a dump truck snagged power lines in Provo.
A road project took an unexpected detour into some overhead lines Monday, leaving as many as 250 customers in the city’s Grandview area without power for hours.
Officials said a contractor hired by the city to repave 1600 North in the area of 1300 West was working on the road at around 2 p.m. when something went terribly wrong.
“One of the trucks, when it dumped its load of asphalt, did not bring its truck dump down before he started driving off and connected with some of the overhead communication lines which are attached to our power poles, which have power lines up on top,” said Provo Power assistant director Scott Bunker. “That force pulled about 5 power poles to the south of it and four power poles to the north of it towards it and caused all of them to shatter and to break.”
Bunker said the situation could have been hazardous for those in the area, but fortunately, nobody was injured.
Neighbor David Strunk said it was crazy to see “power poles like matchsticks.”
“The neighbor up the street—I had to help her get out of her house,” Strunk said. “I’m just glad (the driver is) okay. I mean, that could have been really bad.”
As of 9:30 p.m., more than 200 customers remained without power, according to Bunker.
He said power was expected to be restored for most of those people sometime overnight.
Another neighbor, Dan Perry, said he couldn’t believe what had happened.
“You just hear about it but it’s never happened to us,” he said.
Bunker said the contractor was bonded and insured, and likely would be responsible for the damage, which could reach as much as $250,000.
“It’s amazing the damage that happens when you’re careless,” Strunk said. “I mean, everybody’s affected by one mistake.”
Officials said crews from Spanish Fork were called in to assist Provo Power crews.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)