Utah Man Sentenced To 10 Years In Jail After Admitting To Spying For China
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A retired U.S. Army officer from Utah who admitted to spying for China was sentenced to 10 years in prison on Tuesday.
Sixty-year-old Ron Rockwell Hansen will spend 10 years in prison rather than 15 years prosecutors recommended.
The judge said Hansen showed remorse and was cooperating with information that could be very helpful to the U.S.
“It can be used to make sure we are safer, we know what our vulnerabilities are, we know what the Chinese government does to target Americans how they use that information what techniques they employ,” said Robert Lund, assistant U.S. attorney.
Lund said Hansen worked as a contractor for the U.S. government in China when he went rogue.
“He was there and the Chinese were able to discern that he had a background as an intelligent officer and they approached him and offered him money and he took the deal,” Lund said.
That deal lasted for a five year period, during which Lund said Hansen was paid $800,000 dollars or more.
But now, all that money is gone.
“There is no money,” Lund said. “We looked very closely at his finances.”
Hansen apologized in court Tuesday.
“There’s simply are no words to accurately and fully express the depths of regret that I have for my decisions and actions,” he said. “I am so sorry. I apologize to my wife, to my children, to my family members for the pain and damage I have caused them.”
His brother said they accept his apology and stand by him.
“We are pleased that Ron recognizes his mistake,” Don Hansen said. “We are pleased we are able to move on as a family now. I know my brother. He’s been a wonderful husband and father to his family and a great brother to us. Served 24 great years for our country.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10137)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 9660)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6421)
- 2 killed in separate Utah Co. crashes; 1 injured after hitting school bus in Clearfield (pageviews: 6158)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3625)
- A Spanish Fork high school homecoming dress code causes tension between students and faculty – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3418)