Police Looking For Driver In Salt Lake Who Hit Child, Left Scene
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Police are looking for a driver who hit an 8-year-old boy Thursday evening and drove off without waiting for police to arrive.
The boy was playing basketball in the road just after 6 p.m. when a red pickup truck hit him, footage from a home security camera shows. The crash happened in the area of 1500 South and 1300 West.
Camera footage shows the driver of the truck get out of the truck and talk to the boy, who got up immediately after the crash and did not appear to be seriously injured. Neighbors said the boy told the driver he was fine, and that an adult family member came out of the house to also confirm that the boy was fine.
WARNING: This video could be disturbing to some. An 8-yr old boy playing basketball in the road was hit by a truck tonight. He's okay and the driver stopped to talk to him, but @slcpd would like to speak to the driver as well. We're working on this for @KSL5TV tonight at 10. pic.twitter.com/ttXOCxtdBY
— Alex Cabrero (@KSL_AlexCabrero) September 27, 2019
After talking to the boy and the family member, neighbors said, the driver of the truck drove off.
Police now say they are looking for the driver, who left before police arrived on the scene.
“We’re looking for this individual to get this piece of the puzzle together,” said Salt Lake Police Lt. Carlos Valencia. “Why didn’t he stay, what was his view from inside the vehicle.”
The pickup truck was red with black trim.
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 23816)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 18797)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6273)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3369)
- 4 charged in Texas semi-truck smuggling operation that left 53 migrants dead (pageviews: 3159)
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison (pageviews: 3152)