Utah Mother Grieves, Warns Others About Fentanyl Overdoses After Losing Son

Oct 2, 2019, 8:35 PM | Updated: 10:39 pm

WEST JORDAN, Utah — A Utah mother is grieving the loss of her son after a fentanyl overdose last month and warning others about the potential dangers posed by the powerful drug often sold on the dark web.

Alisha Robinson received the dreaded phone call on Sept. 16. She said she suspects her son, 23-year-old Brett McDougall, didn’t know he was taking fentanyl and thought he was taking Xanax, which his friend bought online.

“It’s just not fair — no parent should have to feel what I feel,” Robinson said. “These kids just don’t understand the danger. (The pills) are coming in through the dark web, they are being sold on the streets by drug dealers.”

She said her son was experiencing withdrawal symptoms from heroin use after being released from rehab on Sept. 6 and turned to benzodiazepines.

Robinson feared he relapsed on Sept. 11 and started taking what he thought were Xanax pills purchased from his friend.

“He didn’t like the feeling of the withdrawals with the opioids so he turned to the ‘benzos,’ meaning Xanax, Roxy’s,” she said.

Dr. Adam Balls, chair of the emergency department at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, said cases like Brett’s are increasingly more common in his emergency room.

“We’re seeing a lot more commonly people that are buying pills online or even from a drug dealer and really having no idea what they are ingesting or taking into their body,” he said. “As physicians are prescribing less pills and less opiates because of the opioid epidemic…we’re becoming more aware of the problem with drug addiction as we’re decreasing the number of opiates. At the same time, I think there is an increase in people looking for other ways to get those drugs.”

Balls said fentanyl can be deadly because of its potency and ability to be interlaced with other drugs.

“It’s 50 to 100 times more potent than a dose of morphine at the same dose of drugs,” he said.

According to the Utah Department of Health, 51 people died from overdoses linked to fentanyl in 2018. That’s why Robinson hopes sharing her son’s story will help prevent another tragedy.

“I just want to get the message across that these pills that are being sold on the streets are not being prescribed, they’re poisoning our kids,” she said.

Naloxone rescue kits are offered free of charge through Salt Lake County libraries, no questions asked.

The kits can help reverse an opioid overdose, including fentanyl overdoses.

More information can be found here.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Local News

Hundreds of protesters marched in Provo for abortion rights....

Supreme Court’s abortion ruling sets off new court fights

Judges have temporarily blocked abortion bans in Louisiana and Utah, while a federal court in South Carolina said a law sharply restricting the procedure would take effect there immediately.
19 hours ago
FILE: Utah State Representative Phil Lyman, R-Blanding talks with KSL about the restitution order a...
McKenzie Romero, Deseret News & Ladd Egan, KSL-TV

GOP lawmaker alleges fraud in Utah primary election. State says otherwise

A Utah GOP lawmaker posted election fraud claims in their primary election on social media, only for state officials to debunk the claims.
19 hours ago
Juliet Nielsen was eager to welcome her fourth child into the world when a checkup flagged a proble...
Michael Locklear, KSL TV

Why this mom’s abortion decision challenged her family’s religious beliefs

A mother of three is sharing her heartbreaking experience of losing a baby. She hopes her personal story will encourage compassion, pointing out that abortion decisions are nuanced.
19 hours ago
(Jed Boal/KSL TV)...
Jed Boal

Travel experts: Give yourself extra time to avoid airport delays

If you’re flying for your long-awaited vacation this summer, or any trip, brace yourself for potential delays and cancellations.
19 hours ago
FILE (Photo by David Dee Delgado/Getty Images)...
Michael Houck

Layton boy hit by pizza delivery car; airlifted to hospital

A 7-year-old boy is recovering after being hit by a pizza delivery car Sunday evening.
19 hours ago
Mike Dbeisi and Austin Smith are avid outdoor enthusiasts and emergency room doctors with Intermoun...
Ken Fall

How to enjoy Utah’s mountain bike trails safely this summer

Utah is known for outdoor sports, but they don’t come without risk. Two Intermountain ER doctors share their advice for anyone looking to mountain bike in the backcountry.
19 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

hand holding 3d rendering mobile connect with security camera for security solutions...
Les Olson

Wondering what security solutions are right for you? Find out more about how to protect your surroundings

Physical security helps everyone. Keep your employees, clients, and customers safe with security solutions that protect your workplace.
Many rattan pendant lights, hay hang from the ceiling.Traditional and simple lighting....
Lighting Design

The Best Ways to Style Rattan Pendant Lighting in Your Home

Rattan pendant lights create a rustic and breezy feel, and are an easy way to incorporate this hot trend into your home decor.
Earth day 2022...

How Are You Celebrating Earth Day 2022? | 4 Simple Ways to Celebrate Earth Day and Protect the Environment

Earth Day is a great time to reflect on how we can be more environmentally conscious. Here are some tips for celebrating Earth Day.
Get Money Online...

More Ways to Get Money Online Right Now in Your Spare Time

Here are 4 easy ways that you can get more money online if you have some free time and want to make a little extra on the side.
Lighting trends 2022...

Lighting Trends 2022 | 5 Beautiful Home Lighting Trends You Can Expect to See this Year and Beyond

This is where you can see the latest lighting trends for 2022 straight from the Lightovation Show at the Dallas World Trade Center.
What Can't You Throw Away in the Trash...

What Can’t You Throw Away in the Trash? | 5 Things You Shouldn’t Throw in to Your Trash Can

What can't you throw away in the trash? Believe it or not, there are actually many items that shouldn't be thrown straight into the trash.
Utah Mother Grieves, Warns Others About Fentanyl Overdoses After Losing Son