Man In Custody After High-Speed Chase That Ended With Car In Canal
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A person is in custody after leading police on a high-speed chase following a call of shots fired Thursday night, authorities said.
The incident began at approximately 10 p.m. in the area of 700 West and Jackson Avenue where officers responded to a call of shots fired.
Salt Lake City Police Department Lt. Carlos Valencia said police were looking for a Chevrolet Impala in connection with the shots fired call. A sergeant spotted a suspect vehicle matching the description and attempted to pull it over. The vehicle fled and a pursuit ensued.
He said the chase reached speeds of up to 90 mph.
The chase went through multiple law enforcement jurisdictions, Valencia said, and ended in the area of 1600 West and 1600 North in Woods Cross when the vehicle drove into a canal. The driver then fled on foot.
“When the officers arrived on scene, they saw the reflectors from the Impala,” he said. “They saw something jump out of the water and go into … the grass.”
Valencia said authorities deployed K-9 units and found the suspect hiding.
He said Luis Albert Gomez Lopez was taken into custody and that officers found he was in possession of drugs and money.
“Our detectives are still trying to figure out what happened,” Valencia said.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 8563)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3901)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 3445)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 2621)
- Alleged fraud committed by top leaders at Layton Christian Academy - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2604)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2477)