Suspect In Officer-Involved Shooting At Layton Hills Mall Dies
LAYTON, Utah — Police said a person with several felony warrants was injured at Layton Hills Mall in an officer-involved shooting and taken into custody Tuesday.
The suspect, identified as Zackary Aldridge Hall, 28, later died at a nearby hospital, according to a statement from theUnited States Marshals Service.
Hall was wanted for aggravated robbery out of the 3rd District Court in Salt Lake City, the USMS said. Authorities located him at Layton Hills Mall Tuesday afternoon.
Officials said when officers approached him, Hall refused to comply and instead ran to his vehicle.
“When officers approached, Hall refused to comply with their orders and ran toward his vehicle,” according to the US Marshals Service statement. “Hall entered his car, tried to escape, and began using his vehicle as a weapon and starting ramming his vehicle into police vehicles. In order to stop the threat, an officer fired into the car striking Hall.”
Officers removed a firearm from Hall, according to the statement, and immediately began administering first aid. The suspect was taken by ambulance to Davis Hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.
LIVE: Police are giving an update on the officer-involved shooting at Layton Hills Mall. Authorities said there is no further threat to the public and the suspect, who was shot, is in custody.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Tuesday, October 8, 2019
Natalie Goodwin, who was at the mall when the incident happened, walked outside to find her rental car was part of the crime scene.
“The two cars directly in front of my car … are the crime scene cars,” she said. “I was like, ‘Please tell me they didn’t hit that car because it’s a rental car.'”
U.S. Marshal for the District of Utah Matthew Harris said they tracked the suspect outside to ensure the public’s safety and to try and arrest him in the safest way possible.
“If we’re going after somebody, you can assure that they’re the most violent among us,” he said.
Harris also said a female companion was with the suspect as he left the mall but said he did not know if she was taken into custody.
“(It’s) scary to think this happened in Layton,” Goodwin said.
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 12173)
- Former Mission Companion Of Chad Daybell In Disbelief After Developments (pageviews: 9214)
- Police: Body Found In Pipe Near Target In Salt Lake City 'Suspicious' (pageviews: 8050)
- Lori Vallow's Neighbors Share Footage Of Missing Children (pageviews: 7602)
- Utah Teen Shot, Left For Dead Three Years Ago Raising Money For Prosthetic Arm (pageviews: 7557)
- California Prisoner Confesses To Killing 2 Child Molesters, Says He 'Did Everybody A Favor' (pageviews: 6786)
- Mike Rowe Makes Online Plea To Help West Jordan Toymaker (pageviews: 5760)
- Dirty Dining? KSL Investigators Look Into Popular Salt Lake Restaurant Rankings (pageviews: 4830)
- Payson Hit-&-Run Driver Turns Himself In After Striking 9-Year-Old (pageviews: 4026)
- Celebrities Rally To Send Quaden Bayles To Disneyland After Bullying Video Goes Viral (pageviews: 3869)