TSA Officers Find 7 Handguns In Carry-On Bags Over 7 Days At SLC Int’l Airport
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Officials with the Transportation Security Administration said officers at Salt Lake City International Airport have discovered seven handguns in carry-on baggage of seven different travelers over the last week.
Authorities said there was no indication that any of the incidents were related or posed a threat to the traveling public’s safety, but they wanted to remind travelers that firearms are never allowed in carry-on baggage.
“This string of firearm discoveries should serve as a reminder to all travelers – especially gun owners – to double-check their belongings before they come to the airport to catch a flight to ensure there is nothing dangerous or prohibited in their carry-on luggage,” said TSA Federal Security Director for Utah Mark Lewis. “There is no excuse for bringing a firearm to the security checkpoint when there is an established and accepted procedure for packing a firearm for travel in checked luggage.”
Each incident will be reviewed by TSA officials, who said recommended civil penalties begin at $2,050 with a maximum of $10,250 per violation.
The seven travelers were flying to Washington D.C., San Diego, Dallas-Fort Worth, Seattle-Tacoma, New York and Oakland. In 2019, TSA officers at SLC have discovered 65 firearms; in all of 2018, the total was 73.
“Firearms can be transported on a commercial aircraft only if they are unloaded, packed in a locked, hardsided case and placed in checked baggage,” TSA officials said in a press release. “Ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames, receivers, clips and magazines are also prohibited in carry-on baggage and must be checked. Any type of replica firearm is prohibited in carry-on baggage and must be transported in checked luggage.”
Officials said passengers need to go to their airline check-in counter and declare any firearms, ammunition and any firearm parts during the check-in process.
Additional information can be found here.
- 2-Year-Old Boy Hugs Pizza Delivery Guy, Not Knowing He Just Lost His Daughter (pageviews: 20829)
- Dirty Dining? KSL Investigators Look Into Popular Salt Lake Restaurant Rankings (pageviews: 19955)
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 14596)
- Utah Teen Shot, Left For Dead Three Years Ago Raising Money For Prosthetic Arm (pageviews: 5366)
- 15-Year-Old Xander Makes Second Wednesday's Child Appearance (pageviews: 5097)
- Mackenzie Lueck Murder Suspect's Home Up For Sale (pageviews: 4559)
- Investigators Issue Amber Alert For 15-Month-Old Tennessee Girl Not Seen Since December (pageviews: 4535)
- I-15 Becomes Parking Lot After 55 Crashes Along Tech Corridor (pageviews: 4213)
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 4206)