SLC Water Main Break Repairs To Last Through Tuesday
HOLLADAY, Utah — Repairs to a water main break at 6150 South Wasatch Boulevard will last through Monday night into midday Tuesday, according to officials.
Officials reported the break and subsequent road closure south of the Mount Olympus Trailhead after 12:30 p.m. Monday.
Wasatch Boulevard will be closed in both directions from 4500 South to 6200 South during the repairs; southbound traffic must exit at 4500 South while northbound traffic must exit at 6200 South.
Officials said local traffic is allowed up Fortuna Way, which is near 4800 South.
Holly Mullin with the Salt Lake City Department of Public Utilities said the incident was a spontaneous water break and there was no construction in the area.
“We have quite a few aging pipe networks out in that area,” she said. “Our chief engineer who I talked to out there was telling me that it’s probably just a matter of pipes that have been there since the 70s or 80s.”
Mullin added some pipes in the city are over 100 years old and hold up great while others that are only 30 or 40 years old have had some trouble.
Mullin said crews try to keep one part of the road open in incidents like this, but water from the main had sprayed a high-pressure natural gas transmission line.
“In the abundance of caution, we decided to close the entire road both ways so that we can get that all repaired properly and not put anyone in jeopardy,” she said.
No water shutoffs are currently expected as two crews work to repair the line overnight and lay asphalt in the morning.
Mullin said the asphalt will need a few hours to cure and they expect the road to be open later Tuesday.
Wasatch Blvd. between 4500 S & 6200 S closed NB/SB for broken water main repair. Water spraying onto a high-pressure natural gas line required full closure. No water shutoffs expected, repairs to last thru midday Tues. @KSLcom @kslnewsradio @lbriefer @CityofHolladay @MillcreekUT
— SLC Department of Public Utilities (@SLCPU) October 14, 2019
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7375)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 7194)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6211)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5382)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station (pageviews: 4290)
- Centerville wildfire ‘most likely’ caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4224)