YOUR LIFE YOUR HEALTH

Coworkers Revive Colleague With AED At South Jordan Company

Oct 17, 2019, 8:58 PM | Updated: 9:05 pm

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah — Three Utahns were recognized for helping save their coworker’s life with an Automated External Defibrillator, or AED, after he suffered a heart attack at work.

“It was just a normal day, everybody said I was my normal self,” said Jack Rakes, who lives in South Jordan. Rakes felt fine when he went to work early one morning. “There was no warning.” But he wasn’t fine. “I was just gone in an instant,” he said.

Rakes collapsed and three coworkers at Merit Medical rushed to help.

“I heard this sound that you just don’t normally hear and it had been his head hitting the back of the table,” said Taylorsville resident Teresa Salazar.

Someone sounded an emergency alarm and Andrew Williamson, of Grantsville, said, “It went, ‘Code blue, we need to get going. Let’s go! Let’s go!’”

“He was gray, he was going gray,” said West Valley City resident Debra Pressley.

Pressley grabbed the onsite AED. It’s a portable electronic device that can restart the heart through electric shock.

“I had never been trained on an AED prior,” Salazar said.

AEDs can revive someone during a sudden cardiac arrest, and they are showing up everywhere. You might have seen one hanging on the wall at work, at the mall or the airport. It was vitally important to Rakes and the people who saved him.

“It prompts you to do all the steps, to apply the pads. It will tell you that it’s analyzing the heart rhythm,” said Merit Medical Cheif Wellness Officer Dr. Nicole Priest. “It will say, ‘Shock advised.’”

AEDs might look intimidating, but experts said they’re easy to use if you follow the automated commands.

Laura Western with the American Heart Association said, “The first thing you’ll do is take the pads out and you would apply them directly onto the patient. One goes over the heart and one goes over on the other side.”

Salazar and her colleagues followed the instructions that day and saved Jack’s life.

“I just looked at the pictures on the pads,” she said.

“I’m a very lucky guy,” Rakes said.

Salazar said she learned how to act quickly from someone special: her grandmother, Fran Salazar, who helped raise her.

“I have had to help her through some hard times,” Teresa Salazar said. “I didn’t have the best childhood growing up. Alcohol and drugs were a problem. Whenever I’d spend the night, she’d always scratch my back and do, ‘The Itsy Bitsy Spider.’”

Teresa Salazar said she visits her grandmother every day, and those visits helped prepare Teresa for the moment when seconds mattered. “I kind of have a little more confidence just walking around on a normal day because I just helped save a life,” she said.

KSL 5 TV Live

Your Life Your Health

(FILE) An audiologist preforming an a  hearing test. (KSL TV)...

Emma Benson

Listen up! The health consequences of untreated hearing loss

Around 600,000 people in Utah have hearing loss, but many may not realize they do until they're tested and how it can affect their health.

20 hours ago

Kenneth Applegate was diagnosed with high blood pressure. (Courtesy: Kenneth Applegate)...

Emma Benson

Utah dad’s journey from hypertension to health

At age 25, Applegate was diagnosed with high blood pressure. At first, he didn't think it was a big deal, until things became more serious.

8 days ago

Jeremy Ward, a dad diagnosed with sleep apnea, poses with his family. (Courtesy: Jeremy Ward)...

Emma Benson

Utah man finds sleep apnea relief with Inspire sleep therapy

Utah dad of six and avid biker was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. It wasn't until he received the Inspire implant that he found relief.

15 days ago

We're all guilty of slouching in our chairs. But did you know poor posture can cause serious health...

Emma Benson

Straightening up: How your posture affects your health

We're all guilty of slouching in our chairs. But did you know poor posture can cause serious health issues?

23 days ago

Linda Campbell showing the Breast MRI where doctors found her breast cancer....

Emma Benson

Breast MRI is helping detect cancer in high-risk patients

Intermountain Health is working on new advances in breast cancer screening by transforming early detection.

29 days ago

The ABCs of checking for melanoma....

Emma Benson

Sun safety reminders for Skin Cancer Awareness Month

May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, and Utah has one of the highest rates of melanoma, about twice the national average.

1 month ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Coworkers Revive Colleague With AED At South Jordan Company