Volunteers Continue Search For Missing Hunter In High Uintas
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — The search for a hunter from West Virginia who went missing on Monday is continuing in the Uinta Mountains near the Utah-Wyoming border, but colder weather forecasted for the area has search and rescue crews concerned.
Saturday will be day five in the search for 69-year-old Carl Crumrine, who was part of a hunting group near Lyman Lake in Summit County when he was last seen Monday.
NEW – Search crews are searching for 69 year old Carl Crumrine. He was last seen on the morning of October 14, 2019 hunting in the Lyman Lake area in eastern Summit County, Utah. If you have any information regarding Mr. Crumrine please call (435)615-3600. pic.twitter.com/SLgoounyv1
— Sheriff Justin (@SummitCountySO) October 15, 2019
Summit County Sheriff’s Office officials described Crumrine as a white male, about 5-foot-11 and 240 lbs.
Even though Crumrine had food and was prepared for the cold, as more time passes, the more concerned everyone gets.
“Anytime we go into multiple days, the survivability of someone, it diminishes over time. And then with the impending storm, we had a storm that hit last night. We have several inches of snow that fell,” said SCSO Lieutenant Andrew Wright. “It’s unfortunate we haven’t found anything, any sign of him.”
Search operations have continued this morning in the Lyman Lake area of the Unita-Wasatch-Cache National Forest in Summit County. We are grateful for all the agencies and personnel assisting in the search of missing hunter, Carl Crumrine. pic.twitter.com/KbGWqYf6ee
— Sheriff Justin (@SummitCountySO) October 17, 2019
Officials said they have been getting several calls from people who want to help search for him.
“Oftentimes when we have these on-going searches in the High Uintas, we get a lot of people reaching out,” Wright said. “We appreciate that. We just don’t have the ability to take on the volunteers.”
That’s why the Garrett Bardsley Foundation is taking on the responsibility to organize the volunteer efforts.
It’s a group composed of the family and friends of 12-year old Garrett Bardsley, who is still missing after he was last seen in the High Uinta’s in 2004.
The foundation has helped with several searches of the area for missing people.
“We really appreciate their generosity. The Garrett Bardsley Foundation, they’ve been around for several years, they’re absolutely phenomenal. They come in and they manage all of the volunteers,” Wright said.
Crumrine didn’t return to his campsite after the sun went down this past Monday.
A National Guard Apache helicopter also helped in the search efforts Friday afternoon.
Our search continues today for Carl Crumrine. Summit County SAR is reporting several inches of snow this morning in the search area. We give our heartfelt thanks to all the surrounding agencies and dozens of personnel assisting in finding Carl. pic.twitter.com/tD4oRueGF5
— Sheriff Justin (@SummitCountySO) October 18, 2019
The Garrett Bardsley Foundation is planning on starting its efforts Saturday at 9 a.m. but expects to be done by 2 p.m. because of the coming storm.
If you would like to help, the Foundation has posted information on what to bring as well as a map to the command post on its website.
- Antibody Testing Shows Many Utahns Had COVID-19 But Did Not Know It (pageviews: 20182)
- Three People Seriously Injured After Falling At Stewart Falls (pageviews: 9674)
- Three-Year-Old Child Drowns In Residential Pool In St. George (pageviews: 9639)
- Cache County Woman Dies Of COVID-19; State Total At 98 (pageviews: 7686)
- Woman Killed After Meeting Suspect On Tinder In Layton (pageviews: 7627)
- White Woman Apologizes After Calling Police On Black Man Saying He Was Threatening Her Life (pageviews: 5371)
- Four Minneapolis Officers Fired After Death Of Black Man (pageviews: 5158)
- Thousands Of Boats Inspected For Invasive Mussels Over Holiday Weekend (pageviews: 5055)
- Lawmakers Want VA To Remove Swastika From Gravestone At Utah Cemetery (pageviews: 4454)
- Woman Talks About Close Encounter With Tinder Murder Suspect (pageviews: 4235)