Man Accused In Mackenzie Lueck’s Death In Court On Separate, Unrelated Cases
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The man accused of murdering University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck and leaving her charred remains in a shallow grave was in court Wednesday for two separate cases.
Ayoola Ajayi is facing charges of sexual exploitation of a minor and aggravated kidnapping and forced sexual abuse of an adult female. None of the additional charges are related to the Lueck case. A motion Wednesday would require the victim in one of the sexual assault cases to testify before a trial.
The judge heard arguments over a motion to request Brady materials, which she granted.
Also considered was a motion to quash a subpoena that would require the alleged victim to testify in a preliminary hearing. The state and an attorney from the Utah Crime Victims Legal Clinic argued against having the testimony at a preliminary hearing. They also noted the victim had already given a statement.
The defense, however, argued to have the testimony on record.
“(The testimony is appropriate) definitely for trial, and a defendant does have a right to confront his accuser, and so we’re not denying that,” said Laurel Hanks, attorney for the alleged victim. “We are just trying to keep court appearances to a minimum if we can. It can be traumatizing to come to court … and traumatizing for victims of, especially, sexual abuse.”
The defense declined to comment.
The judge will make a decision on the motion to quash subpoena by Nov. 20. The parties will meet again on Nov. 27 for a preliminary hearing.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 24684)
- Idaho father fighting for his life in Utah hospital after dirt biking crash (pageviews: 19330)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9476)
- Utah woman arrested on suspicion of shaking, killing her infant boy (pageviews: 6688)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 5928)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5212)
- Haiti gang wants $17M ransom for kidnapped American and Canadian missionaries (pageviews: 4446)
- Utah family urges caution after 1-year-old hospitalized with COVID-19 (pageviews: 4306)