Police: Dog Found In Stolen Vehicle After Suspect Escapes During Arrest
SOUTH WEBER, Utah – Police arrested a man Thursday after he reportedly led them on an hours-long chase that started in a stolen car and ended on foot.
Authorities said a Woods Cross police officer was ending his shift when he noticed a suspicious man in a vehicle in the area of South Weber Drive. As the officer attempted to investigate, the vehicle fled. A chase ensued over a half-mile before the driver crashed at the mouth of Weber Canyon at approximately 1 a.m.
The suspect then fled on foot.
The Davis County Sheriff’s office reported the freezing temperatures made the search more difficult.
“Our dog actually was really cold, covered in ice,” said Liz Sollis, the DCSO public information officer. “The woods cross blood hound may have experienced a little frost bite.”
The Woods Cross officer was able to apprehend the man and handcuff him, she said. However, the suspect managed to escape on foot during the detainment process.
Officials said police found the crashed vehicle had been reported stolen out of Murray. The plates attached were also stolen, and authorities found stolen property and a dog inside the car.
Sollis didn’t disclose the condition of the dog but said it was picked up by animal control.
Multiple agencies responded to the incident, including the Department of Public Safety helicopter. Nearly six hours after the suspect escaped, the search was called off. Dispatch them began receiving multiple phone calls that a man in handcuffs was walking off southbound US-89.
He was taken into custody a second time and taken to the hospital for severe hypothermia. Authorities said the 26-year-old is now facing charges for evading and possession of a stolen vehicle.
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7375)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 7194)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6211)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5382)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station (pageviews: 4290)
- Centerville wildfire ‘most likely’ caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4224)