Roy Police Rescue Family From Burning Home
ROY, Utah — Footage from two body camera videos caught the tense moments as a handful of Roy Police officers rushed in to get a family out of a burning house Tuesday morning.
Homeowner Linda Smithana said she could not get out on her own because of how thick the smoke was.
“If that policeman had not been at that door, banging on that door, with his light going through the window in the door…” Smithana started, pausing to collect her thoughts. “When I got to that door, I really didn’t think I was going to make it, because it was filled with so much smoke, and then there he was.”
A neighbor’s RING camera showed the flames, rising over one end of the house. As two officers tried going in through the back door, thick smoke could be seen inside through bodycam video.
While Smithana made it out safe first, her sister and nephew were still trapped inside the basement. Smithana said they could not get out because flames were near the staircase.
Bodycam video showed a few officers working together to break out a basement window frame, breaking the glass, kicking and using a large rock to knock it out.
“And how they picked that window is amazing,” Smithana said. “That was the only place there was something high enough that Mike could pick up his mom, and put her through the window, and those wonderful men pulled her out, and then the dog, and then Mike.”
All three adults and the dog got out safe and suffered some very minor injuries.
“I just want to thank the Roy Police for doing this for us, and being there when we really needed them. It is just a really emotional thing,” Smithana said, holding back tears.
Damage to the home was estimated at around $50,000.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9267)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 8058)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6022)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3183)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2423)